Friday, July 17, 2009

Blueberry Picking


The Lilliput people and I spent the morning picking blueberries at Rush River Produce in Madien Rock, WI. My dear friend Karen organizes this blueberry picking craziness each year. And i thank her wildly for the experience each year. If you live in this part of the country make your way to Rush River. Absolutely worth the drive.
So what do you get when you combine 3 moms, 7 kids, an 1.5 hour stunning drive through river towns to the blueberry farm and a rather chilly morning. Believe it or not you get 3 relaxed and tired mamma's, 7 happy blue tired children, more blueberries than can safely be consumed by a small village and a 1.5 hour drive home!
I did not take many pictures, however if you click on the farm link above you can see more pictures of the farm. The children, being unaccustomed to this much space and freedom, ran themselves silly tired in the sprawling maze of blueberry bushes. I am impressed by how long they all stuck with the picking. My three picked for a good hour straight. Of course they ate most of what they picked, so there was the motivation :) Fortunately for us the owners of the farm are long time friends of Karen and they happily let all of our children run free and gorge themselves on the blue stuff.
Tracy, Karen & I, being ladies who lunch, fixed a wonderful spread for our delicate pallets. I am joking of course! Karen is the kind of woman that always comes prepared (she prepared lunch for all of us on the spot). I could go on and on about the joys of being friends with this woman. But time is precious and I don't want to give her a big head. So just let me say that if you have ever dreamed of having one more woman around the house to help with the never ending work, This would be the woman you would want. She does it all with the most splendid sense of humor and flair. Back off! I have first dibs.
Karen made this Guacamole in the field from scratch. See what I mean? A real gem.

1 comment:

  1. I have a sister in law like your friend. I always feel inadequate b/c she always had the little containers of yummies for the my kids when I hadn't thought of it, extra diapers, more clothes, delicious treats. So thankful though that she could take care of us all. Looks like a wonderful time...I'd love a bowl of berries and milk right now!

    ReplyDelete