Saturday, November 21, 2009

Fitted Oil cloth Table Slipcover ~ Mini Tutorial

Let me just say right off the bat that this idea has been around forever. My Grandma used to have one of these covering her big round oak kitchen table to protect it from hot coffee mugs and daily wear and tear. Also, let me say, that the green table in the photo's is my kids messy table in our kitchen. I made no attempt to scrap off the layers of glitter, glue, paint and breakfast crumbs that covers each chair. It's a real table that takes on the brunt of my three little people daily. So pardon my mess!

The oilcloth on my table has been in use for at least two years. You could use chalk cloth but I don't think it will hold up as well for a table that sees real use.

What you will need to make a fitted table covering for a round or oval table:
~Oilcloth large enough to cover the top of the table plus at least two inches to wrap around the edge. If your table is very think you may need more.
~Scissors or pinking shears
~1/4 inch elastic (the circumference of your table is more than enough as you stitch it on stretched).
~Sewing Machine with a heavy duty needle
~All purpose sewing thread to match your cloth

Sewing the fitted oilcloth cover:
1. First you need to draw your table on the wrong side of the oilcloth (in pencil). I rolled my cloth out on my kitchen floor and flipped my table over onto the cloth to trace around it. For my cloth I used a metal compass to add 2.5 inches all around my table tracing. You can also measure the diameter of your table ,divide it by two, then add 2.5 inches to that number and use a pencil and string (big compass) to draw your circle onto the cloth.

2. After you have cut out your circle or oval it's time to start elasticising the edge. I just eyed a 1/2 inch in from the edge but you could draw a line all the way around as a stitch guide.

3. When I started sewing the elastic on I tacked the elastic in place with a few back and forth stitches. You can use a zigzag stitch or straight stitch to do your tacking.  But you must use a stretch stitch (zig zag) when sewing the elastic on after tacking. I do not have a special foot for sewing on elastic. I stretch the elastic as I stitch it to the oilcloth. Stretch and stitch the elastic, working slowly, all the away around the cloth tacking the elastic again at the end point.


4. Done! Sit back with a hot cup of coffee and enjoy your new spiffy table.


16 comments:

  1. This is wonderful! Thank you so much for sharing this! Now you have me thinking maybe oil-cloth is better...I'll have to think about it, but I think this method will work perfectly for our table, once I decide. Maybe one of each? (Here I go, getting ahead of myself!)...:o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just commented for the sew mama sew giveaway, then scrolled down and saw THIS! I have been dreaming of covering my student-housing-dining-craft-everything else-table with some oilcloth, and this is the PERFECT direction, thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea and I love the oilcloth!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is a sweet tutorial. I love that photo your your kids sitting around that bright green table. so sunny and happy.

    thanks for entering my Dec 2 giveaway and telling me about your cardboard gingerbread houses. I have bookmarked your blog and will check back.

    Shona

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea ! I think I will do mine this afternoon, I was using binder clips to maintain the oilcloth on the table... I found your blog through Treadle's website, I miss this store so much !
    Cecile

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so thankful you posted this tutorial! I want to cover the table we use for school since it's so beat-up looking on top and the kids also do crafts on it. I love that I will be able to make it work without it shifting all the time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have an in-home daycare and lots of nieces and a nephew who use our kitchen table every day! We have ordered fitted table cloths in bulk for 5.99-7.99 a pop from Carol Wright and other places(that was all I could find!) They have all torn or lasted a month at the most!! It is the most frustrating thing in the world to think about ruining my husband's nanny's table:( I have bought cheapy ones from Wal Mart but they just pull on them(they are 18mo.) Then, I saw this while searching and finding oil backed clothes-didn't even know they existed! This is the only tutorial I found worth anything! YOur kids are beautiful and your table is awesome! Thanks sooooooo much for this. Looking forward to peaceful days knowing our heirloom is protected and i can have a cool tablecloth to boot!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ive just covered my round table today it came out better than i thought thanks was wondering how to do this so easy now i can make ones in all colours lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful! So happy that this tutorial was helpful to you.

      Delete
  9. I love this! How would you do this for a square table?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would do it the same way except i wuld box my corners. Esentially it would be like making a fitted bed sheet for a table. But all the other steps would be the same.

      Delete
  10. Any thoughts on best way to add a seam for tables wider than the size of the oil cloth? My table is 54" so I'll need something about 60" wide. I am new to sewing and figure that I'll just need to calculate the repeat and figure out if I care to have the seam right down the middle or off to one side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would use two seams on either side of the main panel. While this may seem fussy it will look so much nicer. The hardest part will be calculating the reapeat. Good luck!

      Delete
  11. I am happy that I found your post while searching for informative posts. It is really informative and quality of the content is extraordinary.

    Fitted Tablecloth Salt Lake City Utah

    ReplyDelete