Thursday, March 17, 2011

Spring Sewing

I am happy to report that we have a bit of sun today!  Yahoo!!!

OK, now on to the sewing.  It has been a year since I sat down and sewed something on my machine.  A whole year!  I think maybe this cross country move took more out of me that I realized.  I feel like I am over the big hump of getting the sewing machine and serger set up.  My first two projects were good getting back in the saddle kind of projects.  Nothing tricky.

First up was a little nightgown that Ella has now decided is a dress.  I used a dress pattern so maybe that's why.




My first rolled hem on my serger.  Kind of proud of myself for trying it.  SCARY!

Next up was a vintage Butterick pattern that I have wanted to try forever.

I just love the little sailor detail on the pants.  I also thought it was fun that there is only one pattern piece for them.  Talk about a quick sew!
I made them in the pedal pusher length and used vintage fabric of my mothers.  Unfortunately, I didn't look for buttons before I started and found when they were complete that I didn't have enough of any of my buttons that we suitable.  I got crazy and used knotted twill tape which I think turned out kinda cute.  It made them a little more girly anyway. 


The only change I made on this pattern was to lower the waist band by about two inches.  Those vintage pants patterns have some high waists!
If i sew them again I will remember that vintage patterns also have much wider seam allowances.  I just serged my seams which was no where near the 5/8 inch seam allowance.  They would have been a bit more slim fitting had I done it correctly.

Cheers!
Sonja

1 comment:

  1. You're killing me! The cuteness of those pants and that dress is sickening. I'm so glad to see you sewing again! I'm going to join your fabric mockery group now. Can I promote it publicly? Can I invite people to join?

    ReplyDelete